Nashville Field Guide
Just west of us in our backyard of middle Tennessee, Nashville is our state's largest city and general hotspot of activity from food to music it has plenty of things to explore.
Fully updated in 2018 with new Nashville selections, interviews, maps and essential intel. The Music City is changing, yet carries that same old tune.
"It’s within a day’s drive of over 75% of the entire U.S. population. That’s why all the bands, whether Bessie Smith or the Beastie Boys, play Nashville. It’s the damndest thing. "
LOCAL STORIES, TRAVEL INTEL AND MODERN LORE, INCLUDING:
- An interview with Freedom Rider, Patricia Jenkins-Armstrong
- The top meat-and-three lunch spots in town
- Recommendations on live music joints
- A longform essay by Ann Patchett about the flood
- Novelist Tony Earley on East Nashville lore
- Songwriter Rosanne Cash remembers a cold winter’s night
- Record shop owner Mike Grimes on how the Music City is evolving
- Varying reactions and reviews of Nashville hot chicken
- Natural wonders within a few hours drive